Tuesday 14 October 2008

“S” is also for “Sh*t taste in music”

In light of Dan’s challenge to come up with my favourite songs by artists beginning with "S", here are my efforts (though I did cheat slightly by just going through the "S"s on my iPod). In no particular order:

Needles by System of a Down: Features the lyrics: "My tapeworm tells me what to do/My tapeworm tells me where to go/Pull the tapeworm out of your ass, hey." I think it might be about not doing drugs or the media or summink, but who cares when you’ve got lyrics like that. Great to sing along to in the car.

New Slang by The Shins: My favourite song ever. Makes me think of rainy days for some reason. It does lose a lot of points for once being featured in a Mcdonald’s advert though.

Plush by The Stone Temple Pilots: I first heard this song on The Chart Show one Saturday morning and I loved it from first listen. I think I was about 12 at the time. One of my all time favourites.

The Only Living Boy in New York by Simon and Garfunkel: Despite having been listening to Simon and Garfunkel for years, I’m ashamed to say that I only came across this a few years ago on the soundtrack to the film Garden State (which was also where I discovered The Shins—god bless Zach Braff). It’s basically Paul Simon having a go at Art Garfunkel for buggering off and leaving him on his own in New York. Bless.

Ghost Town by The Specials: There can’t be that many songs which are this good when the subject matter is Margaret Thatcher's policies which the band believed would increase the large-scale unemployment already present in the United Kingdom, particularly in Scotland and England's industrialised north and Midlands regions (yes, I did steal that from Wikipedia).

So, there you have it. I have been ribbed for my terrible taste in music on several previous occasions, but I stand by my choices. "My tapeworm tells me what to do...."

1 comment:

  1. Especially good for singing along to with the window down? Also you have inspired me to dig out my Stone Temple Pilots tape (yes, I still don't have an ipod). K x

    ReplyDelete